Denver Public Library
– What is your professional role/position?
I’m the Senior Librarian of Decker Branch. “Senior Librarian” is the odd moniker given to the mangers of individual DPL branches and departments. There are a lot of us.
– How has CATS helped you in your career/personal development?
It has given me experience in leading groups of people a lot smarter and more capable than me!
– What has been your favorite youth services project?
I love presenting our library’s Book Babies storytime.
– What are your favorite youth services tools? I.e readers advisory, read alikes, etc
Browsing among the stacks in libraries and bookstores.
– Any random facts you could share with us?
I had a cultured hick upbringing.
– Do you have a favorite quote?
“What we have here is a failure to communicate!” (from Cool Hand Luke)
– If you could interview one person (dead or alive) who would it be?
Hmm, let’s go with Dwight Eisenhower alive.
– If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?
A knife, a solar powered cell phone, and a soccer ball.
– If your library was burning down, what’s the one non-living thing you would save?
The quilt picture of the library made two years ago by a volunteer.
– What advice would you give to future youth librarians?
Keep learning, keep striving, keep leading.
– What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far?
Do what you love.
Be careful what you wish for.
Maintain a work/life balance.
– What are your hopes for children and teen services?
That youth services librarians continue to garner the support of their communities.
– What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most?
Being given the freedom to mold the branch to my ideals.
– What book did you read last?
The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson.
– What books are at your bedside?
The Complete Sailing Manual
Hostile Takeover by Shane Kuhn
– What children’s character can you relate with most? Why?
Little Tim in Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain. His love of sea adventure.
– What is a super hero ability you wish you had?
Self defense skills.
– What would people never guess you do at your job?
I sometimes get to unclog toilets and clean up vomit. Oh boy!